Thursday, June 14, 2012

Meaningful Gifts for Your Caring Dad

Dad and Itchy
Do you have a thoughtful, loving, protective dad? A dad for whom material things are just that--things. A dad who doesn't need more stuff? That was my father and how I wish I could worry about what to give him for Father's Day. He was all about taking care of others. If he were on earth today, I'd give him something that honored his spirit. I'd adopt an animal in his name. 


Dad had a soft heart for all creatures and loved my adopted dog so much he frequently teased me about his plan to dog-nap Itchy. I credit Dad with inspiring me to write stories about teens who take dangerous risks to save wildlife from dastardly criminals.


Did your dad ever take you to the zoo? Or the aquarium? For many of us, those trips created memories of a lifetime. Why not remind your father how much you appreciated those trips? For $25 and a few clicks on the computer, you can thank him by adopting an animal from the Clearwater Marine Aquarium. Your gift helps provide the best daily care possible for the resident animals as well as needed medical attention.The Clearwater Aquarium is more than an entertaining and educational facility. It also rescues, cares for, and releases injured and ill wildlife. 


But not all rescued animals will recover well enough to be released into the wild. You may recognize Clearwater Marine Aquarium as the home of Winter, from A Dolphin Tale. Winter was rescued from certain death, and after being fitted with a prosthetic tail, she happily resides at this aquarium. Winter played herself in the movie and "today serves as a symbol of courage, perseverance, and hope to millions of people--both able and disabled--who have been touched by her remarkable story of recovery and rehabilitation."


While I have zoos and fathers in mind, I must tell you to watch for the release of a delightful book about young Whit who sleeps, eats, and even attends home-school at a zoo. Just one of the perks of having a father who's the head elephant keeper. I bet you know someone who'd enjoy Don't Feed The Boy, by  Irene Latham, coming October 16, 2012 from Roaring Brook Press/Macmillan.


I guarantee you that Whit would recommend you adopt an animal to honor your father!


If you're a home-schooler or interested in endangered animals, wildlife, tropical island life, sea turtles, or environmental issues in general, check out my own books and the teacher page on my website

No comments:

Post a Comment